It would be hard to imagine a more fairytale-like little town than Telč. A square which looks like it has come straight from the stories of Hans Christian Andersen, a romantic chateau and crystal clear fishponds surrounding the city. Telč is the most perfect example of the Italian Renaissance north of the Alps and a town with one of the most beautiful squares in Europe. It is rightly thus also part of UNESCO world heritage.
Telč was founded in the mid-14th century; the Roman-style tower for the Holy Spirit proves that there was already a settlement there. The city walls and the Church of the Ascension of Mary are Gothic in style.
The beginning of the 19th century represents the rise of industrialisation. Also new in the spirit of cultural and economic life started to develop.
The builder of the castle was Zachariáš of Hradec, after whom the square was named; his name is also related to that of the city of Jindřichův Hradec.
Until 1945 Telč had, as did its neighbor Jihlava, a principally German-speaking population.
Last update: 2018-06-21